PLEDGE YOUR SUPPORT for the Gaza Cultural Centre Campaign.
Organised by a group of artists and activists in Gaza, Ramallah, London and New York, this appeal is supported by Caryl Churchill (Playwright, UK), Harriet Walter (Actor, UK), Iman Aoun (Actor, Co-Director: Ashtar Theatre, Palestine), Omar Al Qattan (Chair: A M Qattan Foundation, UK), Wallace Shawn (Playwright, US), Jamal Al Rozzi (NGO Chief Executive Officer, Co-Director: Theatre for Everybody, Palestine), Jessica Litwak (Theatre Director, HEAT Collective, US), Ali Abu Yasin (Actor/Director, Palestine), Shalva Wise (Producer & Organizer, US), Jonathan Chadwick (Theatre Director, Az Theatre, UK), Hossam Al Madhoun (Child Protection Programme Manager, Co-Director: Theatre for Everybody, Palestine), Deborah Eisenberg (Writer, US), International Committee for Artists Freedom (UK)
We, the undersigned, are shocked at the total destruction of the Said Al Mishal Cultural Centre in Gaza on August 9th, 2018 by a targeted Israeli military airstrike.
We stand with those in Gaza and the wider community who describe their great rage and deep pain at the obliteration of this symbol of Palestinian culture and identity, and as they mourn the destruction of one of the few large venues for theatre and music in besieged Gaza.
Since its establishment in 2004, Al Mishal served as a home for hundreds of plays, ceremonies, exhibits, musical performances and community events. The centre also included recreational activities for children who have been affected by three successive wars in Gaza, including a dabkeh dance school for hundreds of local children. It is a devastating loss for the already isolated community.
We pledge our support to continue the Al Mishal’s role through this international campaign to rebuild a cultural centre for Gaza.
The Gaza Cultural Centre Campaign organisers are committed to developing and working with an international action committee rooted in Gaza’s creative community.
We urge all those concerned with the importance of creative culture to pledge their support to this effort. We mean this to be a demonstration of the strength of our feeling and as a commitment to be active in the project of rebuilding a cultural centre for Gaza.
Statement by Palestinian Performing Arts Network. PPAN Statement here
Email: email@example.com to pledge your support
- This pledge requests your name, email, occupation, and country of residence. This information will only be used for future correspondence about this project and will not be shared with anyone.
- You can pledge your support as an organisation or an individual. Your name (individual or organisation) will appear in public.
- The custodians of this support network’s list of members are Az Theatre (London) and The HEAT Collective (New York).
- For further information about the destruction of the Al Mishal Cultural Centre:
- Article posted on Hyperallergic on the day after the bombing 10 August 2018, Read Hyperallergic article
- Letter from leading UK theatre practitioners published in The Guardian on 16 August 2018: Read letter in The Guardian
- Article from The Guardian 16 August 2018: Read article in The Guardian
- Video made in Gaza by Ashtar Theatre about the loss of the Cultural Centre: View video
Email your support: firstname.lastname@example.org